Shop at Amazon.com!
A simple cabbage and onion can be turned into a magnificent dish, when perked up with some fresh curry leaves, ginger and spices. I was delighted to find this dish at my local Indo-Pak restaurant, where the chef explained to me that it was stir fried, not cooked in a heavy sauce, since today’s diners prefer to eat lighter dishes.
As with any stir fry, prepare your ingredients before starting to cook, and line them up in the order you will add them to the hot pan:
Starting from the right side above, ready to go into the hot pan, the ingredients are:
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp white lentils (urid dal), soaked in hot water for ~10 min.
- 10 to 15 curry leaves
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, chopped or grated
- 2 or 3 green or red chili peppers (Omit if you prefer a mild dish)
You will also need 4 cups of shredded cabbage and 2 Tbsp of vegetable or nut oil.
Ready to Start Cooking? Remember, it’s a stir fry, so keep the ingredients in motion in the hot pan by stirring frequently.
- Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat until hot
- Add mustard seeds until you hear them pop
- Add cumin seeds and white lentils, stir until lentils are slightly browned
- Add curry leaves and onion, stir together until onion softens
- Add ginger and chili peppers, stir together until combined
- Add shredded cabbage and pinch of salt to taste
- Continue to stir-fry until cabbage is tender-crisp
- Serve and Enjoy!
This dish can be eaten while following nearly all popular diets, except those that require zero carbohydrates. There are only 8 calories in a half-cup of shredded cabbage, so whenever I feel like it’s “Time To Weigh Less”, I stir-fry a batch of this delicious dish. I’ve even eaten it cold for breakfast!
Hope you enjoy this dish as much as we do, made as mild or spicy as you like.
Many of the ingredients needed for this recipe can be found on-line at:
Shop Amazon – Introducing Prime Pantry – Everyday Essentials in Everyday Sizes.
Check it out! So convenient, and delivered directly to your door.
When I’m not cooking, I Shop at Amazon.com!
Copyright (c) 2016 Open Thought Software, Inc All Rights Reserved